Every year, the Cannes Film festival becomes the n° 1 destination for movie fans and tourists. Inevitably, the prices shoot up. But there are ways of getting to the festival for free and enjoying loads of VIP treatment, red-carpet screenings and other goodies.
In the run-up to the Cannes Film festival, I’ll be detailing all the competitions I can find that offer free trips as a prize. Remember that many of these will be for specific countries and with set deadlines. So read the fine print before entering.
- If you’re French, between the age of 18 and 25 and can face watching over 20 films in 10 days, why not try and become part of the Youth Jury? Deadline: March 1. Get the details at Prix de le jeunesse.
- South Africans could try their luck by watching Oscar® nominated film at Cinema Nouveau or Ster Kinekor Theatres. Tweet your review to @nouveaubuzz or SMS “Buzz” and your review to 33007. Deadline: April 15, 2012.
- New UK streaming service Moviedrome is offering a prize of two flights to Nice airport, two nights in Cannes and two tickets to a film premiere. Deadline is March 30, 2012.
- Subscribers to the Radisson Blu e-newsletter have an opportunity to win two weekend nights at the Radisson Blu in Cannes (very nice!). To do so you answer a straightforward and an impossible question (did I say anywhere that going to Cannes for free is easy?). So first sign up here and then answer here.
- If you’re into the super 8 scene, why not try your luck shooting a one-reel movie without editing in the Straight 8 contest? The winners get to see their film in Cannes. Deadline: April 11. Details at Straight8.
- In the UK, Stella Artois is again running a competition with tickets for two to Cannes at a 5-star hotel as a prize. You must be over 18 and have a passport at the time of travel (natch). Deadline: April 5 at 10am.
- French music fans that are subscribers to Deezer Premium or Deezer Premium Plus should try their luck at winning two nights during the festival with a hotel and dinner for two. All you have to do is suggest the music that best represents Cannes for you. Deadline April 26, 2012.
- French bloggers from the PACA region, try your luck with France 4‘s competition. There’s an all-access pass to events and screenings for someone willing to blog daily. Find out more on France 4 (in French).
- It’s kind of late and I’m not sure what the conditions or deadlines are, but Sosh has a contest for a night at the Majestic, a red-carpet screening and others goodies. Details on Sosh’s Pinterest page (in French).
- Another French contest: Vodkaster is running a contest where you have to recognise previous Palme winners. The prize is a ticket for the closing ceremony.
Cannes or Bust is associated in no way with the various contest organisers. Remember, conditions apply to all offers. This list will grow over the coming few weeks. Check back frequently or follow the Cannes or Bust twitter account for instant updates. Out of interest, you could check last year’s competition.
Share with your fiends! Let them take part and possibly win a trip to the Cannes Film Festival using the share buttons below.