Annual music start-up competition looks for new Spotify
Midemlab, the annual music start-up competition, has announced the jury members for the 2016 edition. Start-ups interested in working with the music industry are given the chance to pitch their app or service to the business. Each year, Midemlab (part of Midem 2016) brings together some of the most promising music start-ups, some of the most innovative tech companies and the global music business. This offers young entrepreneurs an absolutely unique platform for launching their business, either by finding funding or by finding partners and clients.
In the past, companies such as Spotify, SongKick and Soundcloud have been among the winners. By the way, if your start-up starts wit the letter “s”, maybe you have a competitive advantage. 😉
the tech side of Midem 2016
20 finalists will be chosen through a call-to-entry by the selection partners: the open innovation consulting company bluenove; music business information & strategy company Music Ally, and the leading investment firm in technology, Atomico. Awards are given in three categories:
- Music discovery, recommendation & creation services.
- Marketing, social engagement & monetisation solutions.
- Hardware / Internet of things.
There are a few rules, of course. The idea must be:
- Available to attend Midem if selected to pitch.
- A new company (less than 3 years old).
- Business-ready: already launched or in beta.
- Independent, not affiliated to a group.
- Genuinely original and innovative, with international viability.
The Midemlab 2016 jury members
- Scott Ackerman, CEO, TuneCore (US)
- Romain Amblard, Directeur Accélération, NUMA (France)
- Élisabeth Barges, Directrice Politiques Publiques, Google (France)
- Paul Brindley, CEO, Music Ally (UK)
- Martin Duval, Président & COO, Bluenove (France)
- Dave Haynes, Business Development, Seedcamp (UK)
- Mike Herring, CFO, Pandora (US)
- Hugh McIntyre, Contributor, Forbes (US)
- Richard Menneveux, CEO, AdsVark Media /FrenchWeb.fr (France)
- Molly Neuman, Head of Music, Kickstarter (US)
- Chris O’Brien, Correspondant Europe, VentureBeat (France/US)
- Felix Petersen, Partner, Faber Ventures (Germany)
Mark Piibe , EVP Global Business Development and Digital Strategy, Sony Music Entertainment (US)
- Gerrit Schumann, Chief International Officer, Deezer (UK/Germany)
Start-ups should apply before March 23, 2016. Visit Midemlab on Midem 2016.