If you like TV series, Cannes is the place to be in April 2018
[scroll down for an update] The Cannes TV series festival, CanneSeries, is establishing itself as one of the major festivals of its kind. It has nowhere near the impact of the movie festival or MIPTV, but this year promises to be an interesting one. If you are in the business, apply for attendance here.
If you just happen to be in town and want to catch some of the action, here’s the deal.
* The opening ceremony of CANNESERIES is at the Palais des Festivals on Wednesday, April 4 with a première of the third season on “Versailles”
* the Projection of 10 series in the official competition will be held at the Palais des Festivals from Sunday 8 to Tuesday 10 April,
* The ceremony to launch the official competition will be held on Saturday 7 April with the out-of-competition projection of the series The truth about the Harry case Quebert Directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud based on the novel by Joël Dicker (limited seats available)
* The closing Ceremony and the awards will take place on Wednesday, April 11th, with master of ceremonies Kyan Khojandi, broadcast live on Canal+, before the non-competitive projection of the series Safe by Harlan Coben, chairman of the Jury of this first season of CANNESERIES (limited seats available)
* Projections and meetings in the context of CANNESERIES Addict will take place at the Miramar area and the La Licorne Theatre.
A rule of thumb: book in advance and be on time (this is cannes)
As the number of seats is obviously limited, entrance to all these projections requires a ticket (apart from the sessions of CANNESERIES Addict at the Miramar area and La licorne theatre). Entrance is subject to the availability of seats even for people with an invitation or a Festival Pass – this is Cannes, after all!).
For the distribution of invitations, it is important to register on the site CanneSeries (opening of the online ticket office: Monday 19 March at 10am).
Please note! People that have not been able to withdraw advance tickets to a CANNESERIES session, might still get last-minute access (even if it cannot be guaranteed by the Festival) 10 minutes before the start of the session. These are seats not claimed following the non-arrival of guests or festival-goers). Show up in the last-minute queue.
Put another way, if you have an invitation or pass, get there on time otherwise your seat might go to someone more punctual!
CANNESERIES Addict sessions at the Miramar area or the Licorne do not require tickets. They will be freely accessible according to certain conditions and to the extent of the available places. The Miramar area will host event projections and meetings with professionals from April 4 to 11 and the La Licorne Theatre will host the 10 series in competition from April 8th to 11th.
March 30 2018 update. The Espace Miramar is where you can:
- Meet French (Orelsan, Kyan Khojandi, Jonathan Cohen, Jean-Jacques Annaud, Elise Tielrooy, Ingrid chauvinistic, Corinne Masiero…) or international talents (Harlan Coben, Michael C. Hall, Michelle Dockery, Michael K. Williams, Antonio Fargas…),
- Buy Harlan Coben’s last book “Without Defence” and ask him for a dedication at the end of his Masterclass organized on Tuesday, April 10 at 10am
- Attend the replay of the opening series (Versailles Season 3/Wednesday 4 April at 8.30 pm, in the presence of the team) and closing one (Safe /Wednesday 11 April at 8.30 pm)
- Attend a conference of Dominique Moïsi, a policy specialist who will propose in the framework of the Cannes University conferences a conference (Thursday, April 5 at 3pm) devoted to ” La Géopolitique des séries / The Geopolitics of Series”, title of his latest book.
At the Unicorn Theatre, the public will be able to watch the 10 series in the official competition from Sunday 8 to Wednesday 11 April from 6.30 pm.