For the third time, Cannes will be the host for the Film Finance Forum at the Majestic Hotel on May 18 2012. The Film Finance Forum was originally set up in Los Angeles and New York when the financial markets first collapsed in the hopes of bridging the gap between Hollywood and Wall Street. It has now developed into a worldwide series of events.
The Cannes leg will focus on “Utilizing Global Financing, Risk Mitigation, and Distribution Strategies”. More precisely, it will assess the impact of the global economy on the industry, emerging trends in deal structuring, capital raising challenges and solutions, revenue generation through new distribution avenues, in addition to many other factors affecting film financing today.
The speakers include Randall Emmett of Emmett/Furla Films, Danny Glover and Joslyn Barnes, David Glosser of the Weinstein Company and Andrex Cripps of Imax.
For full details and registration, visit the Film Finance Forum.
12:00 – 12:30 pm
Registration and Networking @ the Hotel Majestic Barriere
12:30 – 12:40 pm
Opening Remarks: Introduction of the Program
12:40 – 1:45 pm
Global State of the Industry: How to Get Films Financed and Made Today
– What new structures are emerging to get deals done?
– What new capital is available in the current market?
– What type of content is receiving emphasis and funding in the studio and independent context?
– Approaches to raising finance from emerging markets
1:45 – 2:45 pm
Smart Money Strategies: Utilizing Risk Mitigation Across Borders
Reducing risk when structuring a deal is one of the key elements to a successful film investment. This group of experts will address the latest strategies on:
– How to protect the equity
– Profit participation as it relates to equity split
– Strategies for co-financing and joint ventures
– Identifying high-risk factors and potential problems
– New trends in film insurance and completion bonds
– Risk mitigating factors in deal-closing with talent
– International auditing issues and collection strategies
– Investment partnerships with brands
2:45 – 3:00 pm
The Impact of Piracy on Digital Distribution
A presentation by the Motion Picture Association
3:00 – 3:30 pm
3:30 – 4:30 pm
International Co-Production: Finding Access to Partners and Utilizing Incentives Abroad
Co-productions are playing a bigger role in the development of new projects around the world every day. During this panel discussion, this group of film commissioners, producers and film funds will address:
– How to get co-production deals done today
– Finding access to partners
– Utilizing incentives
– Legal matters
– Distribution rights
– Issues & solutions
4:30 – 5:30 pm
US and Worldwide Sales and Distribution Strategies
This panel of distribution specialists will discuss:
– Pre-sale strategies at various markets
– What it takes to get films distributed in the U.S. today
– What are distributors looking for and able to pay?
– Monetizing on digital delivery platforms
– Emerging marketing trends
5:30 – 7:30 pm