Taking taxis in Cannes
I used to be quite intimidated by taking taxis around Cannes, which is not normal. Most people arriving at any strange airport always have a sneaking feeling they are going to be ripped off. How true is this at Nice airport? I’ve no figures. What I do have is a few words of advice:
* Start with “Bonjour monsieur (or madame)“. Most taximen understand English reasonably well, yet many are still uncomfortable speaking it. This little courtesy is always appreciated.
* Have the name and address of your hotel printed out, with a telephone number as well. Taximen know just about every hotel. But they might not be able to understand your accent.
* Never talk over the taximan’s head. I’ve heard tales of people getting an earful after complaining to each other in English about the driver, figuring he wouldn’t understand!
* How much does it cost to get to Cannes? For two people with two cases and briefcases, you’ll normally pay about €100 for an airport taxi. But what we call Cannes could in fact be anywhere between the towns of Juan-les-Pins and Mandelieu. If you’re staying in a hotel, ask beforehand if they have a special flat rate for the ride or if they operate a shuttle. It’s often good value. NOTE: use the Cannes or Bust promo code above to get a €10 reduction with MyDriver.com.
* Always check that the counter is at zero when you hail a cab at Nice airport or in the street.
* There are supplements at night, usual €5.
* If you feel you’ve been ripped off, get a receipt, note the taxi’s registration number and contact the customer helpdesk of the event you’re attending.
Last thing to remember: Saturday is shopping day in downtown Cannes, so everything is that much slower. If you’re not in too much of a hurry and don’t have too many suitcases, the airport shuttle bus is a good value option (more info about bus and trains to Cannes).
I’ve been asked about using Uber as a taxi in Cannes. I’ve never seen the benefit, personally, as the times I would use them have been qualified as “surge” periods. If you are a regular user, you know how to deal with that issue. If you have any tips of your own, feel free to add them! (updated April 2016)