Attend Cannes 2015 with Les Cinémas du Monde
Les Cinémas du Monde is one of the most exciting sidebars of the Cannes Film festival. Run by the Institut Français, it showcases some of the most innovative voices from world cinema. The sidebar also has an incubation programme, La Fabrique, that supports movie projects from emerging countries by presenting them at Cannes, films that might not otherwise see the light of day. The call for entries Cannes is now open.
The selection committee chooses eight to ten projects every year. Since 2012, the number of projects has increased through an international call for entry. Projects are selected at a late stage of development to allow participants to benefit from all the opportunities of the Festival de Cannes and Marché du Film.
Attending the Festival de Cannes
Selected directors are invited with their producers to take part in the programme during the Festival de Cannes. The aim is to create opportunities for project development by providing access to different professional activities: Producers Network, Producers Workshops, Cannes Court Métrage – Short Film Corner, professional lunches, parallel selections…
Due to the strong commitment of its patron at the beginning of the festival, to a professional team and personal coaches, each project receives personalised support through one-to-one and group meetings with key players in the film industry.
The deadline for the 2015 edition is December 8, 2014.
Main selection criteria for La Fabrique 2015
- Directors must come from one of the eligible countries (see the list on their website).
- The project must be the director’s 1st or 2nd feature-length film (fiction, documentary or animation but not for TV)
- The project must have a local producer or a producer from one of the eligible countries who has produced a short- or feature-length film in the last five years
- Each director or production company may only submit one film project
- Co-producers may not apply but they must appear in the registration form
- The film’s provisional budget must be less than €3 million.
Since 2009, La Fabrique des Cinémas du Monde has achieved the following results:
- 90 directors and producers from 46 countries, including 20 francophones, participated at La Fabrique,
- 52 first or second feature-length film projects have been supported,
- 30 feature-length films have been screened at the Marché du Film,
- 30 short films have been screened at the Short Film Corner.
Since 2012, 60 to 80% of the projects have signed co-production agreements and 7 directors have received the World Cinema Support. This is an incredible success rate.
For the full details, visit les Cinémas du Monde