No summer in Cannes is complete without the fireworks festival. Some of the world’s finest firework organizers take over the bay for an evening of bangs, whizzes, music and colour. This year, the dates are:
- July 14 (French national holiday!): Italy’s Morsani (created in 1880, no less).
- July 21 (Belgian national holiday): Sunny from China, an award-winning company founded 30 years ago
- July 29: Zaragozana, the Spanish masters founded in 1860
- August 7: Brezac, the award-winning French outfit from Dordogne
- August 15: Germany’s Innovative Pyrotechnik, featuring a very broad classical music selection
- August 24: Jupiter, the Argentinian specialist that won the Jury Prize already in 2007 and are appearing hors compétition.
For the best views, the seafront hotels all organise parties and meals that will cost you an arm and a leg. You could always stand out with thousands of others on the Croisette (which is great fun), rent a boat in the bay or find friends with gardens or balconies further inland. The shows start at 10pm unless there is strong wind (get updates on Twitter) and last 30 minutes – which is long for a fireworks show.
To give an idea of what to expect, here is last year’s China night:
Fireworks China Night Cannes - feu d'artifice... par laurentjefaut_hotmail_com
Let us know what you think after the shows!
Pingback: Cannes firework festival 2012 kicks off
By the way, if you’re thinking of coming in a car, forget it! Not only is parking impossible, it will take you hours to get out of the centre afterwards if you do find a spot. Park outside the centre and walk in or take a bus. Or park in La Bocca and take the train.
I am doing a school project on publicity, PR and Social Media promotional use for Independent Films and short films and this would help me very much! Thank you. I am looking at interning at the Film Festivals.
In addition to the Cannes film festival (more of which you’ll find at http://cannes-or-bust.com/category/cannes-festival/), you might want to check the International Pan-African Film festival (http://cannes-or-bust.com/2011/04/african-film-festival-to-kick-off-in-cannes/)
Pingback: New Years Eve on the Croisette